DRY-TREAT 40SK FOR SOFT POROUS STONE
DRY-TREAT 40SK is an impregnating, invisible and breathable sealer that protects porous tile, natural stone, brick, terracotta, paving and grout from damage caused by water and salts, plus helps to consolidate friable surfaces. Treated indoor and outdoor surfaces become easier to clean, maintain and keep looking good for longer. DRY-TREAT 40SK provides lasting protection for engineering concrete, terracotta tile, cast stone, paving, sandstone, limestone, brick and grout.
DRY-TREAT 40SK is suitable for a wide variety of applications, including building facades, floors, walls, swimming pool surrounds, patios, garages, kitchens and public and private entertaining areas.
– Penetrating, permanent water repellency plus consolidation of softer materials , for premium protection against problems caused by water and water borne salts, including: efflorescence, salt spalling, freeze-thaw spalling and picture framing
– Popular for sealing sandstone, limestone, travertine, concrete dry-stamped pavers and composite stone pavers around salt water swimming pools
– Retains natural surface color and finish
– Keeps surfaces looking new for longer, makes cleaning easier, and dries quickly even after heavy rain
– Breathable: water vapor escapes freely, avoiding moisture build-up inside the material
– Designed for indoor and outdoor surfaces
How to use:
1. ALWAYS TEST PRODUCT ON A SMALL AREA FIRST and allow a 24 hour cure time to determine the ease of application and desired results.
2. Ensure surfaces to be treated are dry, clean and free of residues.
3. Product is to be applied without thinning.
4. Generously saturate the surface with product using a low-pressure hand spray, a clean brush, or similar. Surface should have a mirror-like “wet” look for 3-5 seconds. Avoid contact with surrounding areas.
5. After 10 minutes, repeat Step 4. Total application rate is approximately one litre per 0.5 to four sq. metres (5 to 40 sq. feet per quart) depending on absorption.
6. Allow 10 minutes for product to penetrate surface then polish surface with a clean white dry cloth to remove excess product. Do not allow excess product to dry on the surface.
7. Clean equipment with organic solvent e.g. methylated spirits.
8. Sealer will not prevent surface etching, scuff marks or wear and may lighten or darken some surfaces. It is recommended that for sandstone or limestone in a salt water environment (e.g. a pool coping) the entire coping should be dipped sealed with DRY-TREAT 40SK and a 14 day cure time allowed before the stone is put into service. Please note that the underside of the treated stone will become repellent and a special adhesive such as Davco SE-7 mixed with Davelastic or, Bostik Landscape Adhesive is recommended to fix the stone.
Advanced application tips:
1. TESTING DRY-TREAT 40SK.
DRY-TREAT 40SK must be allowed to cure for at least 3 weeks (and ideally 4 weeks) before undertaking water repellency, depth of penetration and strength testing.
– Achieving optimum water repellency and consolidation strength
DRY-TREAT 40SK undergoes 2 different types of curing. The specially designed sealing molecules migrate through the pores and find sites to bond by a process of chemical reaction, over 3 to 4 weeks! As more sealing molecules bond inside the pores, the material becomes more water-repellent. At the same time, the consolidating component of 40SK forms a network inside the treated material which helps to consolidate and strengthen it, to make it less friable and less prone to spalling. This consolidating network can take up to 4 weeks to fully form.
– Achieving maximum depth of penetration.
The modified silane molecules in DRY-TREAT 40SK are hundreds of times smaller than the best modern competitor (fluoropolymer /siloxane) sealers, which cannot penetrate into the pore structure of most materials. It is important to apply the second coat of 40SK while the first coat is still wet to aid penetration. Once applied, the sealing molecules will continue to migrate deeper into the material and bond inside the pores, reaching optimum penetration in approximately 4 weeks.
DRY-TREAT 40SK is designed for use on very porous new surfaces in salt water environments, but can be used on more dense surfaces as a permanent super penetrating water repellent. When using DRY-TREAT 40SK on denser surface, extra care must be taken to remove all excess product from the surface after application. Excess DRY-TREAT 40SK on the surface will react over a few days / weeks and become a white glass which is impossible to remove chemically, and has to be ground away. Also, exercise extreme caution when using the product on old surfaces already saturated with salts as the salts may built up below the treatment and spall the surface. This situation can be avoided if the treatment goes well below say 15 mm from the surface where the tensile strength of most common stone will be greater than that caused by the salt crystals.
3. Requirements of the DRY-TREAT 40SK 15 year performance warranty
Only Accredited Applicators with a class 3 license, which have been specifically trained to use DRY-TREAT 40SK are able to offer the 15 year performance warranty to their clients. Also, the warranty for DRY-TREAT 40SK only applies in salt water environments (such as around a salt water swimming pool), when the material is dip sealed with DRY-TREAT 40SK prior to being laid.
4. Using a suitable adhesive
When a tile is dip sealed prior to being installed, it will become highly water repellent. This means that a standard water based adhesive may not adhere to the surface. A suitable polymer modified grout should be used, which is designed to overcome the repellency of a penetrating sealer.
5. Applying STAIN-PROOF over DRY-TREAT 40SK
It is only necessary to use DRY-TREAT 40SK on surfaces which are regularly in contact with salt spray or salt water. If the client also wants these areas to be protected against oil based stains, it will be necessary to also apply STAIN-PROOF, but only after the DRY-TREAT 40SKhas cured for at least 2 weeks, or the consolidating structure of the DRY-TREAT 40SK may be dissolved.
6. DRY-TREAT 40SK should NOT be applied over a previously sealed surface
Although DRY-TREAT 40SK can penetrate through other penetrating / impregnating sealers to some extent, it will not penetrate as much as it does on an unsealed surface, and will not be effective. The consolidator component especially will not penetrate enough. With DRY-TREAT 40SK, achieving maximum penetration is crucial for protection, so it is necessary to grind previously sealed surfaces before applying DRY-TREAT 40SK.
NB: penetrating / impregnating sealers should never be applied over a topical (coating) sealer.
7. Applying DRY-TREAT 40SK on vertical surfaces
On vertical surfaces you have much less dwell time than on horizontal surfaces as a liquid sealer will run down the wall if a substantial amount is applied. Dwell time is especially important for DRY-TREAT 40SK as an excellent depth of penetration is required to protect against salt spalling and freeze-thaw spalling. The way to do this is to apply 4 light coats of DRY-TREAT 40SK instead of 2 generous coats. Apply each successive coat before the previous one dries (wet-on-wet, approxmately 10 minutes between coats). Place tarp or plastic sheets below to catch the excess drips.